Friday, January 24, 2014

DIY Spotted Cowhide Rug

During the holidays I was bound and determined to start on a partial one room makeover in our kitchen.  Because it's a rental we can't do much to the cosmetics of the home (ya know, like tear down walls, rip up floors, knock out cabinets...the little things), so I revert to my basic need to make our house a home with small DIY and decor changes here and there. I started small by getting rid of a few things I no longer needed (or liked!) and redesigned some furniture we already had.  One of those being our Saarinen-inspired table I gave a fresh new (marbled) new look to! (Reveal on that coming soon!) I also finally completed my thrift store chairs with new glossy paint and some beautiful greek key fabric.

To ground all these projects together I wanted a new rug in the space. Unfortunately all the rugs I've been eyeing have been slightly over our 'kitchen makeover' funds...and by kitchen makeover funds I mean we have none. :) With living in WA, the constant rain and two pups who love our backyard investing in a nice rug for the kitchen isn't a wise purchase for our current lifestyle. So off to my creative planning I went and thought of this idea for a DIY spotted faux cowhide rug.

I got the idea to use a large drop cloth as my rug from blogger Gorgeous Shiny Things. So with her tutorial I was inspired to make my own. I love love all the different styles, colors, and prints of the animal hides right now. I love them layered, solo, upside down, and right side up...they can do no wrong in my eyes. So using the size and shape of my current cowhide I laid out my drop cloth and started tracing.


After a few free-handed tweaks I was happy with the shape and gave it a good ironing. The lazy voice in my head screamed...no one will even notice! While the OCD in me screamed and won. *sigh* ok, iron I did. I laid down my plastic painter's sheet under the new 'cowhide' before I began my painting process. I used some leftover glossy black (oil based) paint I had left over from another project and two different sized foam rounds to create my spots.






After a few hours of dipping and dotting and about a day of dry time our new rug was ready for her new home! I really like how it came out! and not to mention the overall ease and low cost!

Drop cloth - $10.98
Paint - already owned
Craft supplies - already owned

Total - a whopping $10.98 (easy math, huh??)

(My 'after' pictures are actually taken from my Christmas post...the full before and after will be posted soon)






I love the contrast the rug gives to the white table & chairs combo. I really wanted to open the (tiny) room up a bit with neutrals and whites, so by keeping the rug it's natural 'drop cloth' shade I was able to accomplish a brighter appeal to the dining nook. Granted, it doesn't have the soft cushion of a 'real' rug, the visual effects it offers me will do just fine for now. :)

I can't wait to show you the before and after on the chairs and table for an eventual overall room before and after reveal!

Thanks for reading and y'all have a wonderful weekend!

Lemons to Love,

post signature

4 comments:

  1. DIL: This and these are AWESOME!! So creative. (Plus I can hear you talking to yourself as your thoughts get verbalized....so neat!) Be sweet. Miss ya! FIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Love the contrast of the Greek Key on the chairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sherry! I was actually going for a totally different look for refinishing the chairs and came across this Greek Key pattern. Love it when 'accidents' happen :)

      Delete