Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Blanca Lake hike...and the 2 things I learned

So lately I've been in this major adventurous mood. Washington has tons of outdoorsy stuff to do and I've never really gone hiking -- I mean real hiking. I did some searching on trails and waterfalls in WA (thats how we found our way to Snoqualmie) and was SO pumped when I found Blanca Lake! I mean the picture itself is worth a thousand words, amiright?

Anyway, back to being pumped for the 7 mile, 4400 foot elevation hiking challenge I planned. Did I mentioned I had little-to-no hiking experience? I was so excited and energized for the challenge that laid ahead, I even dragged two of our friends along with us to experience the "pot of gold at the end of the treacherous rainbow." ;) We packed our bags with lunch and camelbacks and were on our way to one of Washington's hidden treasures. I was SO looking forward to the mental and physical challenge of going outside my comfort zone!

And then, 27 minutes in...reality set in.

Here are the 2 things I learned:

1) I don't like hiking.

2) I'm not in my 20s anymore *readjusts the ice on my knee*

My version of hiking, I've realized, is something to the equivalence and ease a 5 year old can do. It is NOT, for the record, a 3+ mile hike up a mountain that feels like I am on a Stair Master, on levels 8-10, for 3 hours straight. And don't even get me started on the way back down for 3+ miles! Ouch! ;) On the way home my friends inform us they read that the hike to Blanca Lake is one of the most difficult in WA. Which sorta helped my vanity and achy, throbbing knees feel a little bit better...a little.

Now that I've got that off my chest and completely turned you off from wanting to conquer the hike yourself...please DO try this hike! It was a huge pain in my ass joints but the view at the top is pretttty spectacular. Most people were all "yeah, but aren't you glad you can say you did that hike??!" The competitive person in me screams "HELL YES!" while the 'old' 30 something in me says "Meh."

And now, without further ado....please allow me to share my first, and probably last, hike to Blanca Lake! :)

This pic is blurry but I had to share the naive excitement from my face to begin the hike!

Yay!


A view from the top.


WE DID IT!! We reached the lake!


Isn't.she.gorgggggeous.



Just to emphasize...there is no filter, this is real life, green emerald goodness from a glacier.








Boys being boys -- they actually ended up falling in when a log started moving and got the best of 'em :)


 The girls weren't about that dip ALL the way in, so we settled for plunging our faces in instead!



The official drink of Blanca Lake 2015 *For the guys at least, I would've died if I 'hydrated' on beer!*


Such a stud <3


These lil cuties were some hiking rockstars!! Practically doing laps around me. But, thankfully I had my amazingly patient motivational speaker next to me for every single step to the top.
(You're the best, G)



On to the next one! *Level of difficulty 1's an 2's preferred*

Thank for reading!

Lemons to Love,


post signature

1 comment:

  1. So i really wanted to do this hike until I read this, ha ha! Jk!

    ReplyDelete