Thursday, March 14, 2013

Clean Eating - Banana Bread

Lately I've been trying to make a conscious effort of clean(er) eating throughout the day. I can get down on some carbs and chips (my vices!), but eating them on a regular basis just leaves me feeling groggy and soggy, not a great combo.  Clean eating, for me, gives me that natural boost of energy throughout the day both mentally and physically...and with the lack of Vitamin D the state of WA has to offer, I'll take all the extra boosts I can get! ;)

Thankfully, my other half is open to trying new creations I've whipped up! So for our upcoming trip up to Vancouver for a fun ski trip at Whistler and visit with family, I thought I'd take with us a yummy batch of Banana Bread...clean eating style! My mom has made banana bread for as long as I can remember and the tastiest too! But keeping to my clean eating concept, I found a new recipe here I thought I'd try. Thanks 8 Weeks to a Better You Recipes for the inspiration because it was all I could have hoped it would be!


Oh.my.gosh! Look at that! No butter, no sugar, and still deee-lish!


Being the thoughtful chef and cousin that I am, I only felt that it was right to taste-test my new recipe before allowing others to be the Guinea pigs. And butter my biscuit was it good! Seriously. I even took the liberty of adding some crushed pecans to mine for a little added crunch to each bite. I will definitely be making this again for our household! It's even a great recipe to give as a gift during the holidays, take to a new neighbor, or get-well-soon gesture.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar free applesauce
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3 mashed overripe bananas

Directions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce and honey. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
  2. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

Try it for yourself and let me know what ya think!


To clean eating and a healthier tomorrow...


Lemons to Love,

Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment